Burping and flatulating are two ways in which the body gets rid of gas. The average person produces one to four quarts of gas every day and typically flatulates 14 times per day.
Here are 6 ways to get rid of gas immediately:
- Drink warm water. Water stimulates peristalsis (movement in the intestine). Drinking a cup of warm water may help relieve gas and cramps.
- Try natural digestive aids. Natural digestive aids contain digestive enzymes that operate in tandem with the body’s enzymes to speed up and improve digestion.
- Certain supplements may contain enzymes that aid in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates found in gas-producing foods.
- Consult a naturopath or doctor about a high-quality supplement with the proper enzyme combination for your diet.
- Take activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is a natural and safe treatment for excess gas and bloating. This charcoal is safe for human consumption.When you swallow the charcoal, it draws gases into itself, allowing it to be flushed out of the body. This helps reduce gas and bloating, as well as move any irritants out of the digestive tract.Take activated charcoal with plenty of water and only use it under the supervision of a doctor.
- Take a probiotic. Probiotic supplements help get the “good” bacteria that the gut needs to break down food efficiently. Probiotics can help rebalance gut bacteria. Indeed, clinical studies have shown that certain probiotic supplements can help reduce excess gas and bloating. However, this is frequently dependent on the type of probiotic strains contained in the supplement. Probiotics may cause more gas in the first few days because new bacteria are introduced into the gut. However, as you continue to take it, this will get better.
- Try herbs Many wonderful herbs can help relieve bloating and allow trapped gas to exit the digestive tract. Fennel seeds are one of the best cures. Fennel seeds contain a compound that relaxes spasms in the smooth muscle of the gut, making it easier for gas to pass. After eating, you can chew on the seeds or drink fennel tea. Peppermint and chamomile are both excellent carminatives, which means they “calm” the stomach and help relieve gas. Carrom seeds may help in some cases. Ginger tea can improve digestion and speed up metabolism. Include this in your morning routine to jumpstart the de-bloating process.
- Medications. Simethicone dissolves small gas bubbles in the stomach and intestines.Most people start with small doses, but up to 125 mg with meals may be required to see a difference.
What are the common symptoms of excessive gas?
The passage of gas through the digestive tract causes no symptoms in most people. It is normal to pass gas daily. When gas becomes bothersome, it is due to an excess of gas.
Excess gas can be accompanied by symptoms, such as:
- Abdominal pain or cramps
- Feeling stuffed and suffocated (bloating)
- Increase in the size of the abdomen
- Weight changes
- Frequent tendency of vomiting
What causes excessive gas symptoms?
Bloating, distension and gas can be caused by several factors, including:
- Swallowing too much air, such as when you:
- Eat or drink quickly
- Drink fizzy drinks, such as soda
- Chew gum that contains a sugar called sorbitol
- Sluggish intestinal movement
- Having refined foods
Eating foods that your body cannot digest
Bacteria in the colon break down certain foods and produce gas. Foods that may cause more gas than usual are:
- Dairy products
- Fruit sugar
- Wheat Artificial sweeteners, such as sorbitol, xylitol, or mannitol
- High-fiber foods
- Gas moving slowly
The body may take longer to expel gas. The gas then accumulates and causes pain.
When people have certain medical issues gas moves more slowly through the intestines, such as the following conditions:
- Gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying)
- ConstipationIrritable bowel syndrome
- Intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- Certain medications, such as antibiotics or protein supplements
- Eating high-fat foods
- Chronic (long-term) stress
- The pelvic floor muscles and anal sphincter do not relax the way they should. This issue is called dyssynergia. Read More